Now that Reading Week is over, we all need to revert back to school mode. But if you’re suffering from the post-Reading Week blues, then I have the perfect recipe that will instantly put you in a better mood: Homemade Oreo Cookies!
This recipe is similar to Butter Bakery’s Chocolate Sandwich Cookie, which is made of two large, chewy chocolate cookies with a generous dollop of sweet vanilla buttercream sandwiched in between. For those of you who attended the Dessert Tasting event last year, you might recall sampling their sandwich cookie! After I tried their famous cookie, I wanted to try to replicate it at home, and after a bit of searching on the Internet I found the perfect recipe that makes a batch of homemade Oreo cookies.
When my friends and I get a craving for something sweet and chocolaty, this is our go-to recipe. The cookies are also great for special occasions. This past Valentine’s Day I even gave them out as a treat to my relatives since these homemade Oreos make great gifts and are perfect for all the Oreo-lovers out there. Feel free to give this recipe a try, and I can assure you that you won’t be disappointed! I hope you will enjoy this homemade take on the classic Oreo, and please comment below if you’re planning on making them. I’d love to hear what you think, or ways that you might ‘jazz’ up this recipe to make it your own! Happy baking!
Homemade Oreo Cookies
Makes approximately 12 large cookies.
Ingredients for cookies
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup cocoa powder (dark cocoa powder for best results, but any kind will do just fine)
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ melted unsalted butter
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix it with the dry ingredients, then add the egg and combine until the dough forms a loose ball.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, or two spoons, make uniform rounded balls and place them two inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment papers.
- Use the bottom of a small measuring cup or glass to press down the balls of the dough so they are flat, even surfaces.
- Bake them in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until crackly on the top and still soft in the middle.
- Place them on a rack to cool while you make the filing.
Ingredients for filling
¾ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 cups icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or any other kind of extract)
food coloring (optional)
- In a medium-mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter.
- On medium speed, gradually add the icing sugar. Add the vanilla and beat on high speed for 5 minutes, until it is fluffy.
- Gradually add food-coloring if desired and beat for another 30 seconds or until well blended. Set the filling aside.
- Take two cookies.
- Scoop a dollop (or ~2TBS) of icing on the center of one cookie, but avoid spreading it all the way to the edges.
- Place the other cookie on top of the one you just iced and gently press them together to create a cookie sandwich.
- Roll them in sprinkles or chocolate chips if you desire!
- Ta-da! You have your delicious homemade oreo!